Wednesday 14 July 2010

Gran's Cookie Recipe

My gran was always baking and one of my favourite recipes was her cookie one - they are really easy to make and always a big favourite at craft days.

I made this little book a couple of years ago to keep the recipe safe -






The Recipe -

4 oz marg
3 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon golden syrup
3 teaspoons boiling water
2 oz porridge oats
4 oz self raising flour
1/2 level teaspoon baking powder
few drops vanilla essence
optional - chopped glace cherries, dried fruit, dried cranberries, flaked almonds

Cream together the marg and sugar, then add the golden syrup and boiling water.

Work into the mixture the porridge oats, self raising flour and baking powder

Add a few drops of vanilla essence

Add any optional ingredients now if you want fruity or nutty cookies

Take a large teaspoon of the mixture and roll into a ball, place on a greased baking tray - continue until all the mixture has been used.  Do not place the cookie balls too close together as they do spread out.  Bake 180 C/350 F/Gas mark 3 for about 10 minutes until pale brown - they will still be soft but will quickly firm up on the outside as they cool.  Do not overbake as they will go solid and will only be suitable for dunking!!

I often double up the recipe to make a nice large batch.  The uncooked dough also freezes well so I often freeze half the dough so that when I am short on time for baking I can just grab some dough from the freezer.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing the recipe, must try it, they sound yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little book Karen it is so cute! The recipe sounds yummy too, I will have to try it some time. My gran used to have a recipe like that. It was a basic recipe and then she would make a huge batch and split it up and put different things in each one, my favourites were always the cherry ones! You could also roll those up and freeze them and then just cut rounds off when you wanted to bake them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this a lovely little book. Yummy cookies, thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh yum. Isnt it funny how everyone has a 'grans cookie recipe' lol. Will give yours a shot tomorrow I think. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment, I do read all of them and they are really appreciated.

Karen xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...